Baked Stuffed Apple with Vegan Rum Sauce: Detox Recipe 15 of 21May 15, 2011
Welcome to 21 Days of Detoxing! Whether you are one of our amazingly motivated participants or just interested in eating clean, whole, real food – boy do I have some recipes for you! From now ’til May 21st I’ll be featuring a delicious detox-friendly recipe each day. (And if you want to get in on the detox magic I have a Do It Yourself version available – right here.)
With baby still safely tucked away in my belly, I flew to Chicago to visit some girl friends last year. Oh my…will I ever do that again?!
While we were there, my friend Laura whipped up some delicious apples for dessert. And while these are truly *borderline* detox friendly I want to share them with you because everyone needs a special treat sometimes. The syrup and honey are a TAD more than I’d be using at this point in the detox, but, hey. There’s my disclaimer. They’re damn good. You could try with a reduced amount of sweeteners or save this recipe until after the detox, or heck, just go ahead and make these if your blood sugar feels stable. Eat these after you had a protein rich meal, ok? That’s key to keeping your blood sugar in check.
I hear all my detoxers jumping up and down with joy! Enjoy, guys. You deserve it as you start off Week 3…
Baked Stuffed Apple with Vegan Rum Sauce
4 medium granny smith apples
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup maple syrup
For the sauce:
2 cups unsweetened rice or almond milk
2 tsp honey
2 tsp dark rum
1. In a food processor, thoroughly combine the raisins, walnuts and maple syrup.
2. Using an apple corer, remove the cores from the apples. Then take a small knife and in a scraping fashion, make the hole a little bigger to fit more stuffing. If you don’t have a corer, carefully use a knife for this whole process.
3. Stuff each apple cavity with an equal amount of the walnut mixture. Place in a glass casserole dish and surround apples with about 1/4″ of water. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until apples are tender.
4. Top with the vegan rum sauce and serve.
Vegan Rum Sauce
1. Combine the milk, rum and honey in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce has thickened and reduced to about half. Approx. 10 minutes.
This recipe is from my friend and amazingly talented chef, Laura. Find her at http://www.laurachionchio.blogspot.com.
**See all the 21 Days of Detox recipes so far by clicking here.**