How to lose the slouch and feel awesome in your body (plus, a Soma System giveaway!)September 24, 2013
My 200 hour yoga teacher training feels like it was hundreds of years ago. Back then, I wasn’t married. I didn’t have kids. I went to yoga class almost every day, and saw my body get stronger and leaner. It also felt…more comfortable to live inside of this skin of mine.
Now here we are today. The right side of my neck is chronically pissing me off. My body has felt completely asymmetrical since my first pregnancy. I’m either hunched over the computer or carrying 35 lbs. of little boy on my hip. And this is an improvement from the early days of motherhood when I was hunched over a nursing infant for 8 hours a day (or more!) and having back spasms.
Whether it’s motherhood or an office job or too much texting – I know you can probably relate. We’re all hunched over, way too much.
So, as a trained yoga teacher I have a few tips for how to fix your posture. After all, standing up straight is an easy way to look 5 lbs. slimmer!
1. Release the muscles of the chest. When these muscles are tight, they literally pull your body forward into a hunch. If you want to open up and stand up straight, you have to stretch and release the front of your body. (Think backbends and heart opening postures.)
2. Strengthen your back. If your back muscles aren’t strong, they can’t hold your bones in place. And then your too-tight chest muscles pull everything forward. (Think locust pose.)
3. Breathe. Oh yeah. Try breathing when you’re hunched over. Doesn’t work so well. Take a break and breathe, baby!
4. Hire an amazing bodyworker, or…
5. Do some self-bodywork.
And #5 is what I’ve demonstrated for you in the video above. Soma System gives us self-bodywork options that you don’t have to schedule or pay thousands of dollars for. (Yes, professional bodywork can really add up!) And you can do it in the middle of your messy living room.
I actually heard about this product because my very favorite yoga teacher in the whole world, David Vendetti, is part of the Soma System team and he’s been teaching students how to feel better using self-massage for years. He’s magic.
So now when my neck hurts or my back feels tense, or my muscles are sore I just move the Legos out of the way and lie on the floor for a few minutes at night with my Soma System tools.
Relax and breathe.
It’s like massage and trigger point therapy and chocolate and wine and yoga with David all rolled up into one!
Here’s how it basically works:
1. Identify your areas of restriction (by drawing your attention into your body)
2. Release your restrictions with Soma System tools and techniques
3. Circulate oxygen and nutrients throughout your body to promote healing
4. Flush out inflammation and accumulated acidic metabolic waste
5. Restore your health, mobility, posture, and sleep
All I’m sayin’ is…that’s WAY better than chronic pain, inflammation and taking Tylenol.
Learn more about healing your body with Soma System here.
Enter below to win your very own Soma System package (124.99 value!)
1. To enter, you must be subscribed to my weekly email list at the time of the drawing. You can unsubscribe after that, but why would you? I’m always sending out practical, no-nonsense ideas to make your life better! Click here to sign up for my newsletter.
2. Use the Rafflecopter widget below to enter the giveaway. This giveaway is available worldwide, and shipping is free to US residents.