Sleep Better With This Simple Banana Peel TeaOctober 17, 2016
I hadn’t had a good night’s sleep – like a REALLY good night’s sleep – in 6 years. Until I learned about this banana peel tea. Now I’m sleeping like a baby.
Well, maybe not a baby.
(After all, it was MY baby 6 years ago who didn’t like to sleep. Ever since, I’ve woken at every little noise – real or imagined.)
Maybe you also have a nervous system working overtime, always thinking about work stress, your to-do list or family problems. Even at 3am.
After trying all sort of natural sleep aids like gentle yoga, breathing techniques, white noise machines, eye masks and ear plugs, I learned this:
Magnesium deficiency can contribute to light or easily disturbed sleep.
Who is magnesium deficient? If you’re waking multiple times during the night, unable to stay in a deep sleep, the answer is possibly YOU. It’s estimated that 75% of Americans are magnesium deficient because:
1. Poor diet. Obviously, a diet of processed food is lower in nutrients and more likely to result in deficiencies.
2. Stress. Fast paced lives and chronic stress literally wastes our magnesium away.
3. Nutrient-poor soil. Due to farming practices, our soil is depleted of vitamins and minerals. That means food that should be a good source of magnesium may not be.
4. The Pill. Actually, birth control is one of several types of drugs that deplete your body of magnesium, including blood pressure and acid reflux meds.
With this in mind, who wouldn’t jump on a bottle of magnesium supplements?
Well, not so fast.
There’s magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate, magnesium chloride, magnesium sulfate…there are pills and creams and oils and powders like Natural Calm. Epsom salt baths. As with any supplements, there are always concerns about purity and safety. So which do you choose?
I’ve tried several with mild success.
But when I got a tip to make simple tea out of the banana (specifically the peel) sitting in my kitchen? Whoa. Now THAT made a huge difference.
I know it sounds like hocus pocus. You’ll have to try for yourself.
Four important notes:
First, make sure you are using an organic banana. A non-organic banana will technically work, but these are heavily sprayed crops and you don’t want all that chemical residue in your tea.
Second, make sure your banana is ripe. That means yellow with some brown spots. Anything green or greenish could make you constipated.
Thirdly, start slowly. Try 1/4 of a banana to start. I’ve used up to 1/2 of a banana with no issues, and I have been drinking this tea nightly. However, too much magnesium may cause nausea, diarrhea, and other unpleasant side effects. (Which my husband experienced. Poor guy. But note…my husband has no trouble sleeping. Nor has he ever been on The Pill. He drank it out of curiosity but is likely not magnesium deficient to begin with.)
Finally, please note that it is the PEEL of the banana that’s magic. You can include the banana flesh like I do, for flavor. Or, just use the peel.
- ¼-1/2 banana, including the peel
- 1 cup water (You can use more but who wants to drink a lot of liquid before bed? Then you'll really be waking up.)
- Optional: dash of cinnamon
- In a small pot, combine water and banana. Bring to a boil. Simmer 10-20 minutes.
- Add cinnamon if desired.
- Strain and enjoy.