Warm Autumn Salad with Mushroom Bone Broth GravyNovember 1, 2017
Did you know that a salad can be warm? Did you know you can put gravy on top?
Did you know that you make the rules and can do anything you damn well please with your food?
It’s true. Though I encourage you to start moving towards warmer, more hearty dishes and let the cucumbers and tomatoes wait until next summer.
There’s a reason nature’s bounty varies by season.
This dish was inspired by the idea of roasting acorn squash and red onions together in the oven. OMG SO GOOD. But you could use any assortment of veggies, whole grains, nuts, seeds and even add chicken or bacon if you like.
The point is this:
1. Put some lovely autumn flavors together on a plate.
2. Cover it with an easy gravy.
And can we talk about the gravy?
Forget roasting turkeys or whisking flour into drippings. Definitely forget buying any sort of jarred gravy with ingredients like disodium guanylate or caramel color.
Bone broth gravy is the EASIEST way to go…plus you get all the yummy health benefits of a good broth.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 red onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup buckwheat groats (untoasted)
- 1 head kale, any kind
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- Pumpkin seeds
- Red cabbage sauerkraut
- For gravy:
- 2 cups Kettle & Fire Mushroom Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice acorn squash into 1" pieces. (No need to peel.) Slice red onion into 1" pieces. Place in a baking dish or cookie sheet. Rub with oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip veggies and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add buckwheat to a pot of boiling water. Boil for about 10 minutes or until tender. (Don't let it turn to mush!) Drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. oil. Then add kale and mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until mushrooms soften and kale is bright green.
- For gravy, combine broth, onion, garlic and thyme in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced by half. Transfer to a blender and blend well.
- Combine veggies and buckwheat on plates. Add sauerkraut and pumpkin seeds. Top with gravy.